The second gate of the city to be preserved among the five gates of the 17th century enclosure, the Saint Laurent Gate was built in 1615 and allowed to reach Savoy by the right bank of the Isère in the Grésivaudan valley.
Included in the new casemated fortifications built around 1830 by General Haxo and saved from destruction, in the second half of the 19th century, by the construction of the quays of the Isère, which thus accommodated the flow of traffic, the Porte Saint Laurent is still a fine example of 17th century defensive architecture.
In this respect, the exterior façade, on the La Tronche side, is the most interesting.
One can still observe the machicolation protecting the vaulted passage and the two bretches intended to defend the pedestrian doors. The Saint Laurent gate is also the only one to have kept its heavy wooden doors, dated from the 19th century. Until 1864, the city gates were closed from 10 pm to 7 am. The Saint Laurent gate was open from 5 am. The building was listed in 1931.
All year round, daily.
Tramway B stop Notre-Dame museum