A parish church founded at the end of the 17th century by the bishop of Grenoble, who wished to create two parishes in the new districts: one in the city, Saint Louis, and the other outside the walls, Saint-Joseph, in the suburb of the same name.
Built from 1689 to 1699, it was consecrated in the latter year by Mgr Le Camus and dedicated to Saint Louis, Patron Saint of King Louis XIV and protector of France.
A plaque with a Latin inscription located above the entrance portal reminds us that Louis the Great had this house built for the Lord in 1699. The church, built in the shape of a Latin cross by Claude Mollart, the king's engineer and city architect, has a very sober classical architecture. The bell tower, with its round-headed bays decorated with soundproofing, is topped by a dome. The choir houses a beautiful high altar from the 18th century and paintings made in the 1680s by the Dominican friar André. Initially placed in the Dominican church, they were installed in Saint Louis in 1805. The choir stalls, confessionals and pulpit, from the 17th century, are made of walnut wood.
The church also houses a beautiful white marble Virgin, perhaps the work of a 16th century sculptor from Grenoble. The stained glass windows, made in 1925 and 1934, present two very different styles.
The new organs of Saint Louis, which since the 1980s have replaced the great organs of the 17th century, moved and reinstalled in the abbey of Saint Antoine, their place of origin, are organs of great renown.
Built by the French organ builder Bartolomeo Fromentelli, they include 61 stops and 4600 pipes.
An original element of the main façade, the large oculus above the entrance door houses both a stained glass window and the church clock.
From 01/01 to 31/12, daily.
Tramway A and B, stop Victor Hugo